Dabney Family of Early Virginia
Cornelius Dabney (b 1630) and his descendants
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Notes


Matches 51 to 100 of 332

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next»

   Notes   Linked to 
51 Capt. Anthony Winston was born to Judge Anthony and Alice Thornton (Taylor) Winston November 25, 1750, in Hanover County, Virginia.
He married Kesiah Jones in 1776. Their children were Anthony, John Jones, William Henry, Joel W., Isaac, Edmund, Thomas J., Alice T., who married Gen. John Pettus, and Mrs. Jesse Jones.
Anthony studied law, but never practiced. Early in adulthood, he moved to Buckingham County, where he was a delegate to the Virginia Convention of 1775, which voted to arm the colony and virtually declared war on Great Britain. During the Revolution, he served in the militia and rose to the rank of captain. After the war, he served as county sheriff.
About 1800-1801, when he ceased to be listed in the Buckingham County personal property tax lists, he moved to Tennessee, where he bought 360 acres on Stoner’s Creek in Davidson County in March, 1802, and 20 more acres in October, 1802. He was listed in the tax rolls of adjoining Wilson County from 1804 to 1807. He sold 193 acres on Stoners Creek in December 1807. His son, William Henry, married Mary (Bacon) Cooper August 21, 1811 in Davidson County. Between 1810 and 1812, Anthony and his sons moved to Madison County in northern Alabama, which was the convergence point for new settlers seeking land recently surrendered by the local Indian tribes. The earliest land claim by the Winstons in the Huntsville, Alabama, land office was made by William H. Winston November 2, 1809, followed seven days later by his brother, John J. Winston. William and John J. were listed in the local census of Madison County, then part of Mississipi Territory, in 1811. Anthony, who may have been their brother or their father, made his first land claim in 1813.
During 1813 and 1814, conflicts between the settlers in northern Alabama and the local Indian tribes led to the Creek War of 1813-1814. Andrew Jackson, a general in the Tennessee militia, led a force of local volunteers to major victories that resulted in the cession by the Indian chiefs of 23,000,000 acres of land, roughly three-fifths of the present state of Alabama and one-fifth of Georgia. Anthony Winston’s sons, Anthony, John J., Joel W., and Isaac volunteered to serve in the militia during the conflict. William H. was selected in a family conference to be the best fitted to remain at home to watch over their families and farms. John H. was appointed a captain, Anthony a lieutenant, and Joel and Isaac privates in the Regiment of Cavalry and Mounted Gunmen, Tennessee Volunteers led by Col. John Coffee and Col. John Allcorn. The regiment participated in the battles at Tallushatchee and Talladega, 3 November and 9 November, 1813. It has not been possible to find records showing the dates of their service. However, Isaac’s widow’s pension application in 1879 contains an official document confirming his service for 3 months and 25 days from October 8, 1813, to February 1, 1814. His brothers may have served longer because some family traditions have claimed that they participated in the Battle of New Orleans, December, 1814, to January 8, 1815.
During the years 1809 to about 1825, Anthony and his older sons were active purchasers or assignees of numerous deeds in Madison, Limestone, Franklin, and Colbert Counties in North Alabama. At some point during this period, Anthony moved from Madison County to Franklin County, later Colbert County.
Anthony died in 1828 and is buried iin the Winston Family Cemetery between Tuscumbia and Sheffield in Colbert County, Alabama. One of his grandsons, John A. Winston, a son of William H. and Mary Winston, was Governor of Alabama from 1853-1857. 
Winston, Anthony (I1886)
 
52 Capt. George Dabney was born to Col. William Dabney of Aldingham and Ann Barrett Dabney in 1740 in Hanover County, Virginia. He was born and lived for the rest of his life on a farm called The Grove, where his father, William, lived before moving to Aldingham in the same county.
He married Elizabeth Price, daughter of John Price, a Welsh immigrant, and his wife, Mary Randolph, of the Cool Water farm in Hanover County. They had eleven children: John, born 1770; Nancy, born 1771-78; William, born 1774-84; Elizabeth Price, born 1776/77; George, born 1782/83; Chiswell, born 24 Jun 1791; Catherine M., born 1795; Mary; Maria; Lucy; Jane, the last four never married. The order of their birth varies in different sources.
Captain Dabney has been identified by several early sources as “of Dabney’s Legion,” the unit commanded by his brother, Col. Charles Dabney, in the Revolution. However, no records of his enlistment or receipt of a commission in that unit has been found through the Fold 3 or Ancestry data files or partial compilations such as F. B. Heitman’s Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army. He may have served as a county militia officer whose records have not survived or may have served as an unenrolled assistant to his brother Col. Charles Dabney of Dabney’s Legion.
According to the John Blair Dabney Manuscript, written by his grandson, he was superintendent of the extensive estates of General Thomas Nelson before and during the Revolutionary War. The manuscript describes his admirable personality and character at considerable length. He was a friend and strong supporter of Patrick Henry, who opposed adoption of the Constitution but played a major role in the inclusion of the Bill of Rights.
Elizabeth Price Dabney died in 1819 and Capt. George Dabney died in 1824 in Hanover County, Virginia. 
Dabney, Capt. George (I218)
 
53 Carr Maupin was born to John and Frances (Dabney) Maupin about 1776 in Albemarle County, Virginia.
He married Nancy Burch August 2, 1813, in Albemarle County, Virginia. She was born about 1774. Among their children were: Caleb, who moved to Putnam County, Indiana before 1850; James, who lived in Montgomery County; Sinthy/Cynthia, who married Mr. Adams; and Mary, who was living with her mother in the 1850 census.
Carr was listed in the Albemarle personal property tax rolls from 1807 through 1814. In the 1820 census, he was over 45 and listed with his wife and two children under 10 in Bath County, Kentucky. In the 1830 census, he was in Bath County aged 40-49 with his wife and six children. Before the 1840 census, he moved to neighboring Montgomery County where he was 50-59 and living with a male 10-14, four females 10-29, and a female (probably Nancy) 40-49. In the Montgomery County tax listsfor 1836-1845, he was listed in the Montgomery County tax lists with 50 acres, no slaves, and 1 horse. He died in 1845 and Nancy was listed in the 1850 census aged 76 and living in Montgomery County with her daughter Mary, 19. 
Maupin, Carr (I1725)
 
54 Cav&Pion., v.2, 125: James Trice was granted 226 acres in New Kent Co. 13 May 1673, pat.bk 6, p. 451. In 1704 rent list, he had 350 acres. Trice, James (I768)
 
55 Cecelia Dabney was born to Maj. George Dabney III of Dabney’s Ferry and Ann “Nancy” (Nelson) Baker Dabney October 7, 1788, in King William County, Virginia.
She married John Todd Cocke Wiatt December 22, 1810. They had one child: Mary Eleanor, born February 24, 1812, died May 5, 1894, married Wiliam Edward Foster August 29,1833, and had a son William E. Foster, born about 1843.
John Wiatt was a militia officer in Raleigh, North Carolina in the War of 1812, rising from captain to major and colonel. After the war, he set up a business to manufacture coaches and other vehicles which he later gave up in favor of farming. He was for a while deputy sheriff of Wake County, North Carolina, and in 1841 was appointed the first Marshal of the Supreme Court of North Carolina which he served for 14 years. He was an active Mason and from 1814 to 1819, served as Worshipful Master of the Raleigh lodge. He died February 27, 1855, on his farm near Raleigh. 
Dabney, Cecilia (I347)
 
56 Charles Dabney was born to Col. William Dabney of Aldingham and Ann Barrett Dabney in 1745 in Hanover County, Virginia.
He never married, but lived with his unmarried sister, Susannah, until she died in 1799.
His father died in 1773/74 and left him the Aldingham house, 100 acres attached to it in Hanover County, and 600 acres adjoining his cousin, James Dabney, on Cub Creek in Louisa County. In May, 1777, he exchanged the 600 acres with his brother, Samuel Dabney, for 250 acres on the Southanna River, probably adjoining and originally part of the Aldingham farm. In the Hanover land tax list for 1782 (the earliest surviving list), he was charged with 350 acres. In 1788, he purchased 211 acres from Benjamin Forsythe and his land increased to 561 acres and subsequently remained between 531 and 582 acres for the rest of his life.
His first involvement in the Revolution was in April, 1775 as captain of one of the Hanover County militia units that supported Patrick Henry in his effort to reclaim the gunpowder seized by Governor Dunmore, which ended with the payment of £330 in compensation to the colony. As the conflict progressed, his unit was called Dabney’s Legion and he was given a commission as a lieutenant colonel because the unit was larger than a company and smaller than a regiment. Just before the Battle of Monmouth Courthouse in June, 1778, he joined the Continental Army, which gave him a commission as a Colonel of the Virginia State Regiment which he held until 1781. After Monmouth, he spent the winter with his troops at Valley Forge. His troops participated in the Battle of Stony Point, New York, under General Anthony Wayne in July 1779. When Lafayette returned from France to America in 1780, Dabney’s troops were placed under his command and played an important role in blocking Cornwallis’ forces as they retreated northward after defeats in the South. Finally, the British were driven into retreat into Yorktown and ultimately surrender to the American and allied forces.
After Yorktown, Dabney’s troops were stationed at Portsmouth, then ordered to Hampton and Yorktown, where he was given command of the Virginia line until shortly before ratification of the peace treaty with Britain in April, 1783, after which the troops were disbanded by order of the Governor.
For his long services during the Revolution, he was awarded bounty rights to 6,666 acres iin Kentucky. Soon after the end of the war in 1783, he went to claim his bounty lands in Kentucky, then a sparsely settled and mostly wild southern extension of Virginia. He obtained four grants in the Kentucky Military District and one in Nelson County. Because he judged it unlikely that the local government would allow retention of the grants by nonresidents, he sold most of his lands to local settlers for modest amounts.
For several years after his return to Virginia, he advocated before the legislature the claims of revolutionary veteran officers for postwar compensation that had been promised them. Through a legal technicality, they were denied, which so angered Col. Dabney that he left Richmond with a vow never to return, which he honored for the rest of his life.
Afterward, he lived as a country gentleman on his farm in Hanover County for more than 40 years, accompanied by his sister Susannah until her death in 1799. He enjoyed the company of his relatives and neighbors during frequent visits and was generous to those who needed financial assistance. Although he was not active in politics, he was frequently consulted by those who were. Among his papers are warm personal letters from John Marshall, a congressman and later Chief Justice, and William Wirt, the longest-serving Attorney General of the United States.
Charles died December 15, 1829. In his will, he left his farm, Aldingham, to his nephew, Charles Dabney, son of Samuel Dabney, who assisted him greatly in managing his estate during his later years. He gave 10 shares of the Virginia and Farmers’ Bank of Richmond to each of thirteen of his nieces and grandnieces, 20 shares to his nephew, Chiswell Dabney, and 5 shares to a slave named York. Charles and Chiswell Dabney were named executors. 
Dabney, Col. Charles of Dabney’s Legion (I220)
 
57 Christ Church parish register says he was born 13 Mar 1771. Segar, Dr. John (I37)
 
58 Christopher Harris was born to Major Robert and Mourning (Glenn) Harris about 1725 in Albemarle County, Virginia.
He married Mary Dabney, a daughter of Cornelius and Sarah (Jennings) Dabney of Hanover County in 1745. They had seven children: Dabney, Sarah, Robert, Mourning, Christopher, Mary, and Tyre. Mary died and Christopher remarried to Agnes McCord about 1762. They had ten additional children, in their order in Christopher’s will, except for Overton, the youngest: John, Benjamin, William, Barnabas, James, Samuel, Jane, Margaret, Isabel, and Overton. All of Christopher’s children except Tyre and Margaret survived to adulthood, married, and had children.
Christopher obtained a patent for 350 acres in Louisa County January 12, 1746/47. In 1750, Christopher was one of three commissioners appointed by the Albemarle court to verify required improvements on a land patent. In 1751, he received three slaves as a gift from his father. In 1753, he received 331 acres from William and Margaret Keaton on the south fork of Rocky Creek in Louisa County, where he then was living in exchange for 400 acres given Keaton by Christopher’s parents, Robert & Mourning Harris. In May, 1762, Christopher sold the 331 acre tract to Samuel Karr of Augusta County for £65. In August 1764, he received a patent for 162 acres and in 1770 a patent for 234 acres, both in Albemarle County. From 1759 to 1767 and again in 1784, he participated in the quadrennial processioning of his and his neighbors’ boundary lines. In 1777 and 1778, Christopher was an overseer for Richard/Robert Anderson.
Christopher went from Albemarle County to Kentucky in 1779 and obtained two warrants for 1200 acres, which he entered in May, 1780 on Hinkston’s Fork of the Licking River above Riddles Station. He had surveys made in 1786, followed by a delayed patent signed by Governor Henry Lee in January, 1792. He was listed in the Albemarle personal property tax rolls from 1782 (earliest year available) through 1788 and during the last year his property was reduced about 50%, suggesting that he was already preparing for the move of his family and children to Kentucky.
In 1787 or 1788, he emigrated with a large number of his children, grandchildren, and other relatives to Madison County, Kentucky. During his early years in Madison County, Christopher bought several tracts of land and probably helped some of his children buy others. In 1792, he was elected one of the six overseers of the poor. In 1793, he was appointed coroner for the county by the Governor.
He signed his will February 20, 1794, died soon after, and the will was proved in court March 4, 1794. In the will, he left 7 slaves to the children of his first marriage to Mary Dabney, stating that this was in accordance with the will of Mary’s father, Cornelius Dabney, who bequeathed one female slave and her children to Christopher for his life and afterward to his children. He did not leave any of his land to his first group of children, probably because of assistance given them before his death. He left his house and home farm to his wife for her lifetime and afterward to his youngest son, Overton, who was only 12 in 1794 and would be expected to live with his mother and help with the farm. His remaining five slaves, household furnishings, farm utensils, and stock he left to her and after her death to the second children. He divided his land on Muddy Creek, giving the Drowning Creek land to John, the Sycamore Spring tract to Benjamin, the tract on which William had built a house to him, and the Holly tract to Barnabas. He directed that his remaining land in Albemarle County should be sold and the proceeds divided between James and Samuel with adjustment for equity with the other sons. To his three daughters, Jane Gentry, Margaret Harris, and Isabel Harris, he left sums of money that were greater for the two unmarried daughters, probably because they had not yet received marriage gifts. He appointed separate executors for the two groups of children.
Agnes Harris was living when the 1810 census was taken in Madison County, Kentucky. She was the head of her household, living with 3 males 16-25, 2 males 26-44, 1 female 16-25, 1 female 26-44, 1 female 45 and over and 10 slaves. According to the Find A Grave internet site, she died in 1815. 
Harris, Christopher (I880)
 
59 Cornelius and Sarah (Jennings) Dabney’s second youngest child was a daughter whose given name is unknown.
She married Matthew Brown, who is mentioned in Cornelius’ 1764 will with a bequest of one shilling. In the 1763 Rent Rolls for Hanover County, he was charged with 175 acres. Since he was not mentioned in St. Paul’s Parish Vestry Book, he was probably living in neighboring St. Martin’s Parish. His land was mentioned in a 1784 deed as an adjoining property, but he may not have been living if it was still part of his estate. He was not listed in the 1782 and later Hanover County land tax books. A Matthew Brown is also mentioned as a building contractor in Albemarle, Hanover, and Amherst Counties in Edgar Woods’ history of Albemarle County. With a partner, he built part of the University of Virginia. 
Dabney, (Unknown) (I479)
 
60 Cornelius and Sarah (Jennings) Dabney’s youngest child was born in Hanover County, Virginia, and may have been named Sarah.
She married William Johnson, who may have been the William Johnson who sold 200 acres in Hanover County to Robert Tenham in 1732 and whose wife Sarah relinquished her dower rights in June, 1734. A William Johnson, merchant, purchased 150 acres from Henry Power, gent. of James City County for £100 August 5, 1735. A William Johnson was also mentioned in 1735 as a land owner in a processioning record. In 1739, a William Johnson received a payment from St. Paul’s Parish Vestry. In May 1740, Francis Jerdone was mentioned in an Assembly act as the executor of Wiliam Johnson. From 1746 to 1751, the vestry made four payments for the care and burial of a William Johnson, probably a different man. Additional William Johnsons were mentioned in the processioning records from 1755 to 1779. A William Johnson, gent., was a vestryman from 1780-1784. 
Dabney, (Unknown) (I481)
 
61 Cornelius Dabney II was born to Cornelius Dabney I and his second wife, Susannah (__) about 1686 in New Kent County in the area that later became Hanover County.
He married his first wife, whose name is unknown, before 1713. They had three children: Cornelius, William, and John, who were named in his will. W. P. Anderson estimated their birth dates as 1713, 1714, and 1715. .
Cornelius’ first wife died before April, 1721, when he remarried to Sarah Jennings. They had six daughters: Mary; Elizabeth; Frances (Fanny); Anne (Anna); and two additional daughters whose forenames have not been found.
Cornelius first appeared in St. Paul’s parish records in March, 1721, when the vestry assigned him to a road maintenance crew. He continued to be given similar parish tasks until 1737. In 1733, he was one of the appraisers of an estate. In 1734, he witnessed a will and a deed and in 1735 he was mentioned as an adjoining land owner in a deed.
He participated in processioning, the legally required quadrennial perambulation of land boundaries by neighbors to ensure mutual agreement, from 1727 to 1763. He was ill or otherwise indisposed in 1747, when his son John was assigned to take his place. In the Hanover County Quit Rent Roll of 1763, he was listed with 123 acres, which seems rather low, but he was past 70 and his sons, John, Cornelius Jr., and William, were credited with 140, 150, and 150 acres, respectively, which he may have given them. A possible source of the last two farms may have been Charles Hudson’s bequest of 300 acres to Cornelius Dabney in his will of 1745 on part or all of which Cornelius’s son William was already farmng. The reasons for the gift are unclear, but Hudson was a close neighbor of Cornelius from 1727-1747 and had claimed more than 7400 acres in eight patents, and so was relatively land rich.
Cornelius died about 1764/65. The record of the 1768 processioning in St. Paul’s Parish stated that Cornelius Dabney was deceased, and his son John took his place. Cornelius’ will was destroyed with most of the Hanover County records during the Civil War, but a private copy of it was re-recorded in the Hanover records December 22, 1868, by William Winston Dabney of King William County. The original will was signed November 5, 1764, and proved in Hanover County Court February 7, 1765. He left to William 150 acres, four slaves, and all his wearing apparel. To John, he left one slave, his saddle, his gun, and his home plantation after his wife Sarah’s death. Because Cornelius, died within the year before the will was written, he stated that the 150 acres and a slave that he had intended to leave Cornelius should be sold and the proceeds divided among Cornelius’ children, who were not named.
To the husband of his deceased daughter Mary, Christopher Harris, he lent (meaning the bequest could not be sold or given by will) one female slave and her children to be distributed to Christopher and Mary’s children after Christopher’s death. He gave his wife Sarah various furniture, a horse and saddle, two cows and calves, two slaves, and the occupancy of the house until her death. John, who was to receive Cornelius’ home farm and one of the two slaves left to Sarah after Sarah’s death was required to distribute £90 among his sisters, Elizabeth Maupin, Frances (Fanny) Maupin, and Ann Thompson. Any residual of the estate was to be divided among Elizabeth, Frances, and Ann. Cornelius left nothing to his two unnamed daughters married to Matthew Brown and William Johnson, but in a codicil, he left token bequests of one shilling to each of the two sons-in-law, suggesting a rift between Cornelius and the two daughters and sons-in-law.
After the death of Cornelius II, his widow, Sarah, went to live with her daughter Frances and her husband, John Maupin, in Madison County, Kentucky, where she lived to an advanced age.
W. H. Dabney’s Sketch of the Dabneys of Virginia states that Cornelius left large tracts in Spotsylvania County, but this writer’s search in the Spotsylvania Deed Indexes, which go back to 1722, found no Dabneys before 1817. The book also confused Cornelius Dabney II, son of Cornelius I, who lived in Hanover County, with Cornelius Dabney of King William County, who was a son of James Dabney, the eldest son of Cornelius I, and one of the four 1701 Dabney patentees in King William County. As a consequence, the first two children attributed to Cornelius II in the book are completely wrong and in their place should be the John, Cornelius, and William described above. The six daughters attributed to Cornelius II are confirmed by other sources. 
Dabney, Cornelius II (I462)
 
62 Cornelius Dabney III was born to Cornelius Dabney II and his first wife, whose name is unknown, about 1714 in the part of New Kent County, Virginia, that later became Hanover County.
He probably married about 1732-38, but his wife’s name has not been found. However, the frequency with which the name Glenn was given to their grandchildren (Tyre Glenn Dabney, Sarah Glenn Dabney, and Frances Glenn Dabney) suggests that their grandmother may have been Sarah Glenn, who was mentioned as Sarah Dabney in James Glenn’s 1762 will.
Cornelius III had at least three sons who survived into adulthood: John, born about 1740; William, born about 1741; and Cornelius IV, born about 1742. The last is not mentioned in the incomplete report of William Pope Dabney in W. H. Dabney’s Sketch of the Dabneys of Virginia, but the lists of the children of the other Dabneys in Hanover County at the time are so much more detailed and specific that Cornelius III appears the most likely candidate for Cornelius IV’s father.
Cornelius III first appeared in the processioning records of St. Paul’s Parish as Cornelius Jr. in November, 1755. He was listed with neighbors who were in one of the two precincts where his father, Cornelius II, was listed for earlier processionings, indicating that he was probably occupying one of his father’s two farms. He continued to participate in processioning with the same neighbors in 1759 and 1763. In the Quit Rent Roll of 1763, he was listed with 150 acres. According to W. H. Dabney’s Sketch, he was also an inspector of tobacco at Page’s warehouse near Hanovertown. No other evidence for this claim has been found, and he may have been confused with his brother John, whose inspectorship is mentioned several times in the Journals of the House of Burgesses. He died between the 1763 processioning and the signing in October. 1764, of his father’s will, which mentions his death. 
Dabney, Cornelius III (I466)
 
63 Cornelius Dabney IV was probably born to Cornelius Dabney III and his unknown wife about 1742 in Hanover County, Virginia. The possibility that his father was William Dabney Cornelius III was a son of Cornellius II and a grandson of Cornelius I.
Cornelius married Mary (Molly) Lane about 1759. Cornelius and Mary lived in Hanover County until 1772, then moved to Bedford County. They had ten children, most or all born in Hanover County: George,born September 15, 1760; Benjamin, born abt 1761-1766; Charles, born abt 1763-1767; Cornelius, born about 1765-1773; John, born about 1767-1780; Nancy; Molly/Mary; Sarah; Anna; Agatha/Agnes.
Cornelius’ uncle, William Dabney, obtained a patent for 354 acres in Bedford County in 1765 and lived there for some years. He probably played a role in Cornelius’ decision to move from Hanover to Bedford. There is no evidence in the Bedford deed records that Cornelius bought any land in Bedford until June 27, 1791, a year before his death, On that date, he purchased 174 acres from a William Dabney of Guilford County, North Carolina, who may have been his uncle or a son of his uncle. It is likely that he was farming this land, perhaps with William at first and later on a lease from William. Comparison of the metes and bounds description of the patent and the later deed confirms that the 174 acres were part of the original patent. The fate of the other 180 acres in the original patent has not been found in the deed records.
Cornelius died at the age of 50/51 between May, 1792, when his will was signed and October of the same year when it was proved in court. He left all of his land, stock, and household goods to his wife, Mary, except for 55 acres that he had previously given to his eldest son, George. After her death, the remaining land was to be divided between his sons Cornelius and John and the stock and household goods to be divided among his sons Benjamin and Charles and daughters Sarah Pratt, Agatha Dabney, and Anna Dabney. Two other daughters, Nancy Overstreet and Molly Turner were given five shillings apiece, a token amount. He appointed his son George and William Hancock executors. 
Dabney, Cornelius IV (I779)
 
64 Cornelius Dabney of King William County was born to James and Ann (Sherwood) Dabney about 1690-98 in King and Queen County, later King William County. About 1720-25, he married Lucy Winston, the daughter of Isaac Winston Sr. and his wife, Sarah (Dabney) Winston, of neighboring Hanover County. Sarah Winston was a sister of James Dabney, so Lucy was Cornelius’ first cousin.
On May 17, 1732, William Winston of King and Queen County, Lucy’s brother, sold Cornelius for a token payment the tract of land that William and Lucy’s mother, Sarah (Dabney) Winston, patented in 1701 as the daughter of Cornelius Dabney I with her siblings, Dorothy, James, and George. The description in the deed of the boundary of the tract mentioned that Cornelius was the occupant of the adjoining tract patented in 1701 by James Dabney, which confirms that Cornelius was probably the son of James.
Cornelius and Lucy had two children: William, born about 1721-25, and Isaac, born after 1725 and probably deceased before or soon after reaching adulthood.
In 1724, Cornelius obtained a land grant for 400 acres on the north side of the South Anna River in what is now Louisa County and in 1729, he received a second grant of 400 acres adjoining the first grant. Cornelius’ son, William, inherited this property and left it in his will to be divided between his second and third sons, Richard and Owen. The patents were located on the north side of the Horseshoe Bend of the South Anna River about 5 miles northwest of Ashland in Hanover County.
Cornelius died before 1739, when he would have been about 36-44. Lucy remarried to William (or Williams) Coles after 1739 and before 1745, when Lucy and her second husband, William Coles, appeared in court in opposition to a petition asking the court to order the sale of 1 acre of the land of Lucy’s son, Isaac Dabney, to construct a mill.
William and Lucy Coles lived mostly in Hanover County, but may have lived for a while after their marriage on Lucy’s deceased husband’s farm in King William County. They had three children: Walter, died in April, 1769; Mary, died in February, 1808; and Lucy, who was born about 1741. William Coles emigrated to America from Ireland about 1739 and settled in Hanover County. He died about 1781 on his farm called Coles Hill in Hanover County.
Lucy (Winston) Dabney Coles died in 1784. Through her sister, Sarah Winston, who married first Col. John Syme, then John Henry, she was an aunt of Sarah’s son, Patrick Henry. Her daughter Mary Coles married John Payne. Their daughter Dolly Payne married James Madison, fourth President of the United States, who played a major role in the Constitutional Convention and has been called the father of the Constitution and of the Bill of Rights. 
Dabney, Cornelius (I79)
 
65 Cornelius Dabney was born to Cornelius and Elizabeth Smith (Winston) Dabney January 6, 1797, in Louisa County, Virginia.
He married Mary Eggleston Catlett January 28, 1819. They had four children who survived to adulthood: Ann Eliza, born about 1820, married William W. Jones before 1847; Cornelius T., born in 1823, married Mariah Louisa Wylie in 1844 in Caldwell County, Kentkucky; Charles C., who died as a young adult in early 1849 after a bitter lawsuit; and Caroline, born about 1830, married Thomas C. Baytop before 1870.
In the 1820 census, they were living in Goochland County and in 1830, in neighboring Louisa County. In 1820, Cornelius and Mary exchanged their interest in 199 acres occupied by Mary’s mother, Ann Catlett, to John Catlett of Gloucester County, Virginia, for a woman slave named Agnes. One witness of the deed was Henry Dabney, son of Richard Dabney of the Dorrell farm in King William County. In 1827, Cornelius sold his share in his father’s land to his brother, Albert G. Dabney, for $300.
On September 9, 1831, Cornelius sold his farm of 159 1/2 acres in Louisa County to Charles Nuckolls for $1,025 and moved to Christian County, Kentucky, where he purchased 103 acres on which he was taxed from 1833 to 1835). He then moved to neighboring Trigg County, where his brother Albert was living. He was listed in Trigg County without land in 1836.
In January, 1837, he and his son Charles moved back to Hanover County, Virginia, where he planned to open a store. However, he was in very poor health and lived with Nathaniel H. Wash, a nephew, for a few months and then died in June. Before his death, he arranged for Charles to live with Wash until he reached adulthood. He left a sum of money ($400-$900, according to different reports) for Charles’ care and education. Charles stayed with Wash for about three years, but then they had a falling out and Charles left, probably due to Wash’s harsh discipline. Charles went to the house of a neighbor, who advised him to go back, but Charles said he could not bear living with Wash and the neighbor said he could stay with him. Wash then went to the neighbor’s house and ordered Charles to return to his house and threatened him with a whipping. The neighbor said he would not allow it and would defend the lad, which ended the encounter.
It appears that Charles may have become obsessed with his grievance against Wash and about seven years later, in 1847, he sued Wash for the funds left with Wash for Charles’ care. After collecting numerous depositions, followed by court delays, Charles died about March or April, 1849, but that did not end the suit. Charles’ administrator continued the suit, at first in the interest of William W. and Ann (Dabney) Jones, Charles’ sister, then in the interest of his brother, Cornelius T. Dabney of Caldwell County, Kentucky. After many continuances, it was finally struck from the docket in 1861. 
Dabney, Cornelius (I167)
 
66 Cornelius Dabney was born to John and Anna (Harris) Dabney about 1758/59 in Hanover County, Virginia.
He moved to Caswell County, North Carolina, before 1786, when he was mentioned in the will of Tyree Harris as the husband of Tyree’s daughter Frances. W.. H. Miller’s History and Genealogies of The Families of Miller, Woods, Harris, Wallace, Maupin, Oldham, Kavanaugh, and Brown, an otherwise usually reliable source, mistakenly says Cornelius married Jane Harris. Cornelius and Frances had eight children: John B., born about 1787-90 in Caswell County, North Carolina, unmarried; Mary (Polly) born 1787-1790, married William Norton, who died berore 1830; Celia, born about 1787-1790, married first to Thomas Hale in 1810, second to Noah Lingard in 1816; Robert O., born abt 1789-1794; Eliza, born 1794, married Alfred D. Galloway; Carolyn E., born 1808/09, married Thomas Nowell; Frances, born 1800-1810, married John Mathes; Simpson Harrison, born 1810, married Mary Ann Adelaide LaRue.
From 1787 to 1791, four court records mentioned Cornelius as one of the executors of Tyree’s estate and trustee for Tyree’s children. In 1794, Cornelius was listed in court records as a buyer at two estate sales. In 1797, a court record of a sale of slaves mentioned that Cornelius Dabney had already left the state and Tyree Harris planned to do so soon.
When Cornelius left North Carolina, he moved to Robertson County, Tennessee. The Robertson County Treasurer listed Cornelius Dabney and 29 others who paid money to the county court or received money from it in 1797, In 1800, Cornelius obtained a grant of 640 acres in Sumner County, which adjoins Robertson County. In January, 1802, the Robertson County Sheriff sold 311 acres belonging to Cornelius Dabney near Drake’s Lick to satisfy a court Judgment to Joseph Dorris. In November, 1802 the sheriff of Wilson County sold 640 acres of Cornelius Dabney’s to satisfy a judgment to Blake Rutland and Ebenezer Donelson. In March, 1803, 640 acres on Drake’s Lick belonging to Cornelius Dabney were sold by the Robertson sheriff to satisfy a judgment to Samuel Wilson.
Cornelius and Frances moved from Robertson County to Rutherford County, Tennessee, before the 1810 census, which reported that they were over 45 with four sons and three daughters under 16. In February, 1810, their daughter Celia was married to Thomas Hale in Rutherford County. In 1812, Cornelius signed a petition from Rutherford County to the General Assembly asking for assistance to a destitute and injured victim of an Indian attack. In 1813, Cornelius and his wife sued John Medford and his wife in Rutherford County Court. In 1815, when Cornelius was about 56, he was sued in Rutherford County Court by Isham Medford in January and by John Medford in October.
Between 1815 and 1820, Cornelius died and Frances moved to Louisiana with her children. In the 1820 census, she was living in Ouachita Parish with two sons and two daughters, probably John B., Simpson, Frances, and Carolyn. Nearby were her son, Robert O. Dabney and his wife, and her daughter, Celia, with her husband, Noah Lingard. In the 1830 census, John B. Dabney was living in Chicot County in southeast Arkansas. In the 1840 census, John B. Dabney, still unmarried; his brother Simpson A. (or H.) Dabney; their sister. Eliza and her husband, Alfred D. Galloway; and their sister Carolyn.and her husband Thomas Nowell were living in Chicot County, Arkansas. Also living there was William C. Norton, whose age, 20-29, suggests he may have been a son of their sister Mary, who married William Norton.
Some genealogies on the internet have claimed that Cornelius died in the War of 1812. This is unlikely, partly because this researcher haa been unable to find any evidence of his service in the War of 1812 and partly because he was living when he was sued in October, 1815, in Rutherford County, Tennessee. The originator of this claim probably confused Cornelius’ parents, John Dabney of Hanover County, son of Cornelius Dabney II, with John Dabney, son of Cornelius Dabney III of Hanover County. This second John Dabney moved to Prince Edward County and had a son Cornelius who died in the War of 1812 (Sketch of the Dabneys of Virginia, p. 184). The confusion of the two men may have resulted partly from the fact that their wives were both named Anna or Ann. 
Dabney, Cornelius (I687)
 
67 Cornelius Dabney was born to William and Philadelphia (Gwathmey) Dabney June 7, 1756, in King William County, Virginia.
He married Elizabeth Smith Winston in 1783. She was born December 24, 1766, to Isaac Winston III and his wife, Elizabeth (Smith) Winston They had seven children: Isaac Winston, born July (or May) 11, 1787; Elizabeth Smith, born February 6, 1789; William Spotswood, born December 1, 1792; Martha (”Patsy”) Winston, born November 6, 1794; Cornelius, born January 6, 1797; Albert Gallatin, born November 23, 1799; and Maria Catherine, born December 27, 1805, died November 14, 1809.
Cornelius inherited two adjoining tracts totaling 352 acres in Louisa County on the south side of the South Anna River from his father, which were transferred to him by his eldest brother, Isaac, December 8, 1777. He first appeared in the early Louisa County tithable lists in 1772, when he was 16 with 350 acres, which could not be legally transferred to him until he was 21, but for which he was the responsible taxpayer. He was similarly listed through 1781, then in the Louisa County land tax lists from 1782 through 1800 (the latest surviving list) with 431-470 acres. Like most of his neighbors, he was a slave owner and from 1782-1800 was taxed on 9-31 slaves. He was executor for the estates of his brother, Owen, and nephew, William Dabney Jr., son of his brother, Isaac.
In 1814, Cornelius sold his share of a mill that he jointly owned with Benjamin Hope, known as the Dabney and Hopes mill, to Robert Lewis Dabney, a son of Samuel Dabney. The price given in the deed was only $1, but Robert gave two bonds to Cornelius for unspecified amounts payable January 1, 1815 and 1816 and signed a deed of trust conveying his mill share to trustees to guarantee payment of the bonds. In May, 1814, Benjamin Hope sold his share of the mill to Robert with a similar financial and legal arrangement. In June, 1816, Robert sold the mill to John Shelton, Sr. and in March, 1817, Cornelius Dabney and Benjamin Hope filed a legal acknowldgement that Robert had redeemed his bonds.
Cornelius died in 1821, aged about 65. His will was dated April 24, 1821 and proved in Louisa County Court December 10, 1821. He gave his wife all of the household furnishings, a gig, her choice of horses, all of the plantation utensils and stock, and any crop still in the ground. To each of his two daughters, Elizabeth S. Stewart and Martha (Patsy) Cooper, he gave a horse and saddle and the slaves that they had already received. To his four sons, Isaac W., William S., Cornelius, and Albert G., he gave the slaves and other property that they had already received. After his wife’s death, all of the slaves in her possession were to be divided equally among his six children and none of them to be sold. After her death, all of his land and any remaining property of his wife was to be sold and the proceeds divided equally among his children. He appointed as executors, Abraham Fontaine, William Miller, clerk of Goochland County Court, and Charles Attkisson. An appraisal of his personal property dated December 14, 1821, totalled $4,368, of which 10 adult and two child slaves constituted 82%. Cornelius’ 486 acre farm was sold in November, 1829, by Elizabeth and James Attkisson to John S. Woodson, for $2,745.90.
Elizabeth was probably the female resident aged 60-70 in the household of her son Cornelius Jr. in Louisa County in the 1830 census. Cornelius Jr. sold the 159 acres of his farm in September 1831 and moved to Kentucky, where he settled in Christian County. Elizabeth went to live with her widowed daughter, Martha Cooper, in Davidson County, North Carolina. Martha died in September, 1838, and her brother, Albert G. Dabney, traveled from Christian County, Kentucky, to North Carolina and brought his mother back to his home in Kentucky. She died January 11 1840, aged 73 years and 18 days, while visiting Albert Gallatin Meriwether in Hickman County, Kentucky. 
Dabney, Cornelius (I45)
 
68 Cornelius Dabney was born to William and Sarah (Gwathmey) Dabney in 1799/1800 in King William County, Virginia.
During the War of 1812, he served as an ensign with his brother, Mordecai B. Dabney, a private, and his cousin, Henry Dabney, a corporal, in a detachment of 46 men of the King William County militia under the command of Major Thomas Hill for a tour of duty of 17 days in December, 1814.
About 1814/15, he married Diana Dabney, who was born in 1799/1800 to William Dabney Jr., and Hannah Temple Dabney, a daughter of Richard Dabney. They were complexly interrelated because Diana’s parents were first cousins of each other and of Cornelius. They had five children who survived into adulthood: William Winston, born 1815/16, married Martha Ann Bosher September 21, 1837; Adeline (or Eliza Adeline), born 1819/20, married James Gwathmey White in December, 1839; Cornelius Hamilton, born 1825/26, married Lucy Ann Ellett December 23, 1846, in Hanover County; Bushrod W., born 1828/29, married Jane Mason Timberlake, a daughter of David and Elizabeth (Mason)Timberlake of Frederick County, Virginia, in November, 1855; and Robert A. E., born April, 1836, married Virginia H. Taylor in 1858/59.
Cornelius first appeared in the King William County personal property tax list in 1816 and continued with irregularly rising prosperity through 1842, the year before his death. He was listed in the land tax list from 1816 to 1823 with 69-243 acres, no land from 1824 through 1827, and from 1844 to his death in 1843/44 with 200 to 600 acres. After his death, his estate continued to be charged with 600 acres through 1863, when Diana died. In 1864, his land was charged to his eldest son, William Winston Dabney. As executor for John Cordwell, Cornelius sold Cordwell’s 205 acres to Presley Atkinson for $861 in 1822. He purchased 200 acres in 1828 and inherited 400 more from his mother in 1830. After his death, Diana was listed with the same acreage from 1844 to 1850, after which it was listed as Cornelius’ estate through 1863.
According to the evidence from the tax lists, Cornelius died in 1843 or early 1844, aged about 44. Diana received a life tenancy in his land and was appointed executor under his will. In the 1850 and 1860 censuses, she was living with her son William Winston Dabney,. She probably died in 1863/64 when Cornelius estate ceased to be listed in the land tax rolll, aged about 63/64. 
Dabney, Cornelius (I75)
 
69 Cornelius Dabney, a son of Theodore Dawbney/Daubney and his wife, Dorothy Batte, was baptized December 11, 1630, in the parish of Bucknall in Lincolnshire, England. The Bucknall parish records also report the marriage of his parents April 30, 1629. His parents evidently moved within the next 14 months to the Parish of Hainton, where they had a son named John who was born February 15, 1632, and baptized in that year. Also buried there in the same year was a Matthew Batts, gent., who may have been a relative of Dorothy.
Cornelius probably emigrated to Virginia in the late 1650’s or early 1660’s. The first Virginia record of his residence is a patent for 200 acres on the Pamunkey River dated September 27, 1664. The land was located between the Pamunkey River (called the Yorke River in the patent, an older name) and Totopotomoys Creek where they run roughly parallel to each other until the river turns south and the creek empties into it. The land contained rich alluvial soil reflected in high tax assessments in later years. He received a second patent for 640 acres nearby on the south side of Totopotomoy Creek in 1666. A third patent dated March 16, 1667/68 added 100 acres to his first tract, which was included in the boundary description in the patent. When the patents were issued, the tracts were in New Kent County, but today are in southeastern Hanover County. In addition, Cornelius and seven other early settlers leased tracts of land from the Pamunkey Indian tribe on the northeast side of the Pamunkey River, which the Virginia Council had set aside for the tribe through 1700. In 1679, the Virginia Council recognized the leases and ruled that the lessors should have priority when grants could be made after the expiration of the Indian rights. As a consequence, patents were issued 22 years later in 1701 to four of Cornelius’ children: James, George, Sarah, and Dorothy. The location of Cornelius’ and his four children’s patents on the two sides of the Pamunkey River that divides Hanover and King William Counties is shown in Figure 3 in the Introduction. The area can be located on a detailed map of tidewater Virginia in relation to U. S. highway 360 and the Pamunkey River.
Cornelius evidently possessed exceptional linguistic and diplomatic ability because in 1676 the government appointed him the official interpreter for Queen Cockacoeske of the Pamunkey Indians, a tribe then friendly to the colonial government. In 1677, the English government made gifts of rich clothing and jewelry to the queen who led the tribe, her son, and her chief counselor to reward them for refusing to participate in recent raids by other tribes and to partly compensate them for injuries inflicted by angry settlers. A new gray suit was also given to the queen’s interpreter, Cornelius Dabney, described as “a man of goodly presence and of large stature in great esteem with the queen and her people.” In the Journals of the House of Burgesses and the Calendar of Virginia State Papers and Other Manuscripts are several orders and requests from 1676 to 1684 to pay Cornelius Dabney for his services as interpreter.
Cornelius was closely associated with Col. Francis Moryson, one of three commissioners sent by the English government to investigate and make recommendations regarding the Virginia Colony and its intermittently hostile relations with the Indian tribes. In a personal letter to Moryson dated June 29, 1678, Cornelius mentioned as a closing aside that his wife Eedeth “would gladly send y’ one of her boys a year or two hence,” presumably to receive further education and learn English ways from an accomplished politician and diplomat.
Cornelius was married first to Eedeth (__), probably during the 1660’s. They had three children: James, George, and Sarah, who were probably born during the 1660’s or early 1670’s. Eedeth was still living in 1678, when Cornelius mentioned her in a letter to Col. Moryson, but probably died soon after. Cornelius remarried to Susannah (__) about 1679. They had six children, of whom 4 survived into adulthood: Dorothy, born before 1680, died about 1732; Benjamin, born ca 1682, died before March, 1722; Elizabeth, born ca 1684, died April 4, 1688; Cornelius II, born ca 1686, died 1764/65; John, born ca 1687, died April 7, 1688; Mary, born January 22, 1688, died September 7, 1748. Benjamin is known from only two records, but both are official documents and therefore reliable. No records have been found for their birth dates except for Mary, so their birth order and dates are mostly estimated from indirect evidence.
In the vestry book of St Peter’s parish, which begins in 1684, Cornelius Dabney is listed as churchwarden 1684-1685 and subsequently as a member of the vestry until his death in late 1693 or early 1694.
After Cornelius’ death, Susannah remarried to David Anderson. They had one child, David Anderson, Jr. David Sr. died about 1716. Susannah died after March 7, 1722, when she signed her will. She left bequests to her then living children: Cornelius Dabney II; Dorothy (Dabney) Anderson Trice, wife first of Capt. William Anderson and second of James Trice; Mary (Dabney) Carr, wife of Capt. Thomas Carr; David Anderson Jr.; and her grandchild, William Anderson.

Later History of Cornelius Dabney’s First Land Patent

Cornelius Dabney’s first land patent was granted September 27, 1664, for 200 acres, then reissued March 16, 1667/68 with an additional 100 acres added. It filled an elongated v-shaped area between the Pamunkey River and Totopotomoy’s Creek with a 847 yard linear boundary joining the two water courses on the west side. With some additional adjoining land, it later came to be known as Spring Garden. One hundred and fifteen years later in 1783, the tract’s per acre valuation in the county tax list was about 3.5 times a sample estimate of the average valuation for Hanover County, indicating that it was exceptionally fertile, probably because of alluvial deposits from the bordering river and creek.
After Cornelius’ death in late 1693 or early 1694, his second wife, Susannah, inherited the tract and remarried to David Anderson. According to the surviving parish records of processioning (legally required quadrennial tracing of tract boundaries by adjacent neighbors), David continued to hold the land through 1716. He evidently died after the 1716 processioning and before the 1719 processioning, when the records indicate that Susannah was occupying the tract. She probably died soon after signing her will March 7, 1722.
The next processioning that lists the land holders near Spring Garden was in 1735, when James Skelton was shown as owner of the tract. Since there is no indication of a family connection between the Dabneys and Skelton, the tract was probably sold during the years after Susannah’s death. Skelton was living in King William County in 1726, perhaps on the Spring Garden tract, but later moved to Goochland County where he owned a large amount of land. In 1723, he obtained patents for 1200, 400, 400, and 400 acres and in 1726 for 750, 1600, and 1600 acres (of which 1200 was a reissue of a 1723 patent), all in Henrico County (later Goochland County). In 1730, he obtained 393 acres in Hanover County. In 1734, when the 1730 patent was reissued and he signed an unrelated bond, he was living in Goochland County. In 1744 and 1745, he was listed as a neighbor in patents in Goochland County and in 1750, he obtained a patent for an island containing 10 acres in the James River in Goochland County.
In 1735, James Skelton signed a bond to William Meriwether promising to convey to James’ wife, Jane Meriwether (probably a close relative of William), 1,000 acres of land to be passed on to their daughter, Sally Skelton, after Jane’s death. This was probably the Spring Garden farm, now enlarged to about 1,000 acres. Since a wife’s property was customarily listed in her husband’s name, James Skelton continued to be identified as the owner through the 1751 processioning, after which Meriwether Skelton, their son, took his place. He continued until 1780, when he resigned from St. Paul’s vestry and probably died relatively soon afterward.
In the 1782 land tax records for Hanover County, the earliest ones surviving, Col. Thomas Jones, the husband of Sally Skelton, was listed as the owner of the tract, which consisted of 1020 acres. Col. Jones retired from the position of clerk of Northumberland County in 1781 and moved to Hanover County, where he was born about 1726 and his wife owned the farm Spring Garden. According to one writer, Jones was quite prosperous and lived in expensive style. While still serving as clerk, he wrote to the father of a prospective wife for his son Catesby that his clerkship was worth £400 a year and that he intended to turn it over to his son.
Col. Jones died in late 1785 or early 1786 and the property was listed for land taxes as Thomas Jones estate until 1798. After Thomas’s death, Sally Jones, his widow, was listed in the personal property tax list until her death in late 1792 or early 1793. From 1793, one of the Jones sons, Meriwether, was listed until 1797. In 1798, 400 acres were sold to Smith Blakey and in 1800, the remaining 620 acres were sold to Gawin Corbin a son-in-law of the Jones. Corbin then sold them in 1803 to Judge Spencer Roane. Roane was an influential political leader and distinguished jurist, who served on the Virginia Supreme Court for 27 years. He was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates at the age of 21 and became a confidante and adviser to Governor Patrick Henry. His first wife was Anne Henry, one of the governor’s daughters. He added 97 acres to the estate in 1805 and in 1809 and 1810 purchased two tracts totaling 1029.5 acres in the nearby New Castle area. After his death in 1822, his widow, Elizabeth (Hoskins)Roane, who was his second wife, was listed with the 725 acres of the Spring Garden farm and his daughter, Eliza, was listed with the New Castle land. In 1825, Eliza married Albert G. Ruffin, who died in 1829. In 1839, Eliza remarried to Charles McDonald, the newly elected governor of Georgia.
After the death of Spencer Roane’s widow in 1825/26, his son, William Henry Roane, settled on the Spring Garden farm. W. H. Roane was active in Virginia politics and served one term in the U. S. House of Representatives and another in the U. S. Senate. After Roane’s death in 1845, Spring Garden appeared in the tax lists as the W. H. Roane estate until 1851, when it was sold to John A. Meredith, who was commonwealth attorney for Hanover County and later a Circuit Court judge in Richmond. He continued to own Spring Garden through 1863, the latest year for which land tax data is available.
The house where the Jones and Roane families lived was built of brick and was about 34 feet by 44 feet with two stories having four rooms on each floor. The valuation assigned to it by the Mutual Assurance Society of Virginia was the highest among their insurance policies in Hanover County. According to Old Homes of Hanover County, Virginia (Hanover, VA: Hanover County Historical Society, 1983), it was damaged by fire in 1784/85 and 1820, later deserted, and only slight ruins remain today. 
Dabney, Cornelius I (I92)
 
70 Cornelius Maupin was born to Daniel Maupin Jr. and Mary Elizabeth (Dabney) Maupin in Albemarle County, Virginia.
He moved from Albemarle County to Madison County Kentucky about 1789. He married Ann Bratton and had at least two children: Bernard, who had two sons, Charles and Silas, and Margaret, who married David Woods (1800-1882).
He purchased land on Otter Creek and settled there in 1790. He also acquired land on the waters of Green River. In 1802, he sold his land on Otter Creek and in 1807, he sold his land near Green River. He continued to be listed for personal property taxes through 1812. W. H. Miller’s History and Genealogies suggests that he may have moved out of the county. 
Maupin, Cornelius (I1690)
 
71 Cornelius Maupin was born to John and Frances (Dabney) Maupin February 3, 1758, in Albemarle County, Virginia.
He lived in Albemarle County all his life, unlike his namesake cousin, Cornelius, son of Daniel Maupin, who emigrated to Madison County, Kentucky, about 1789. He married four times: first to Mourning Harris, a daughter of James and Mary Harris, and a granddaughter of Major Robert Harris; second to Nancy Tomlin in 1797, with whom he had one daughter, Nancy Maupin, who married David Wiant; third to Mary/Polly Paul May 18, 1802, with whom he had a son, Cornelius Dabney Maupin, who married Rebecca Johnson and an unknown daughter, a son Thomas, and a daughter Virginia; and fourth to Mary/Polly Ellis June 28, 1829, who had no children.
In 1777 or 1778, he was drafted into the Virginia militia and served for 3 months. His company marched from Albemarle to Richmond, then to York and Hampton, then to Williamsburg, where they were discharged. He was drafted again in the fall of 1779, but hired a sustitute to take his place. In the spring of 1781, he was drafted again and served as a guard to the magazine on the James River for two months. Later in 1781, he was employed for three months as a shoemaker at the regimental barracks in Albemarle County. In October, 1832, he applied for a Revolutionary War pension, application no. R 7041. However, his employment as a shoemaker was not counted toward the six months military service requirement, so his application was rejected. A letter from a pension official in his file stated that he was the only Cornelius Maupin in the pension files.
In the 1810 census, Cornelius was listed with his wife, 2 children, and 47(?) slaves. In the 1820 census, he was living with his wife, a male and a female aged 26-44 (probably a son or daughter and spouse), 7 children 0-15, and 4 slaves. In the 1830 census, he was 70-79 and living with his wife 50-59 and 4 slaves. In the 1840 census, he was 80-89, his wife was 60-69, and they had no slaves.
Cornelius was first listed in the Albemarle personal property tax lists in 1792 (the earliest surviving year) and last listed in 1840. During his life, he was charged with 0-4 slaves and 1-5 horses. He probably died in the second half of 1840 or the first half of 1841, aged about 82. 
Maupin, Cornelius (I550)
 
72 Dabney Anderson was born to Capt. William and Dorothy (Dabney) Anderson in King William County.
He appears not to have married. He died, probably in his early 30’s, in late 1734 or early 1735 in Caroline County. On February 13, 1735, the Court ordered an appraisal of his estate, which was submitted and recorded March 12, 1735. 
Anderson, Dabney (I793)
 
73 Dabney Carr was born to John and Barbara (Overton) Carr October 26, 1743, at Bear Castle, a thousand acre farm in Louisa County, Virginia. He studied law with Thomas Jefferson at William and Mary College and became a practicing lawyer. He married Martha Jefferson, a sister of Thomas Jefferson, July 20, 1765. They had six children: Jane Barbara, born 1766; Lucy, born March 7, 1768; Mary (Polly), born March 7, 1768; Peter, born 1770; Samuel, born October 8, 1771; and Dabney, born April 27, 1773.
In 1771 and in 1772, he was elected to the House of Burgesses. In 1773, when a small group that included Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, and others decided to propose the formation of committees of correspondence with the other colonies, he was selected to move the resolutions in the House, and did so in a speech described as " remarkable for its force and eloquence." The proposal was approved, and he was appointed to the first committee. Thirty-five days later, he died on May 16, 1773, aged 29, only 19 days after the birth of his youngest son. He was buried in the Jefferson family graveyard at Monticello. 
Carr, Dabney (I575)
 
74 Dabney Harris was born to Christopher and Mary (Dabney) Harris before 1756 in Albemarle County, Virginia.
He married Mary (__) ca 1768/69 and had about nine children: Benjamin, born about 1769/70; Mary/Polly, born about 1772; Christopher, born about 1773; Silas, born about 1775; Sarah, born about 1779; daughter, name unknown, born about 1783; Isabella, born 1785; daughter, name uknown, born about 1787; Dabney, Jr., born 1790.
He moved from Virginia to Surry County, North Carolina, before 1782, when he was listed in the Surry County tax list in Capt. Humphries’ district with 100 acres, 1 horse, and 2 cows. In 1785, he received a land grant of 150 acres on Glady Creek of Little River in Wilkes County. In 1787, he was assigned to road maintnance duty near Mitchel’s River in Wilkes County Court Minutes, Vol. I & 2. In the 1790 census for Wilkes County, he was listed with 3 males under16, 2 over 16, and 6 females. In 1795, he sent his son, Christopher, to Madison County, Tennessee, with a power of attorney to claim Dabney’s inheritance from the estate of his father, Christopher Harris, who died in 1794. During 1797-1799, he appears to have had some interests in Washington County, Virginia, when he was listed in the personal property tax rolls with minimal property. When the 1800 census was taken, he was living in Salisbury, Surry County, with his wife, two sons aged 10-15 and 16-25, two daughters 10-15, and one 16-25. In 1808 or 1809, he and his son, Christopher, moved to Washington County, Virginia, where they were listed in the 1809 and 1810 personal property tax rolls with a number of other Harrises. Dabney signed his will January 24, 1810 and the will was proved 27 August, 1810, in Washington County. He bequeathed all of his property to his son, Christopher, with the understanding that Christopher would maintain and take good care of his parents for the rest of their lives. In the 1810 census, Christopher and his family and other Harris families were living in Washington County. 
Harris, Dabney (I882)
 
75 Dabney Maupin was born to John and Frances (Dabney) Maupin about 1769 on Moorman’s River, in northwestern Albemarle County, Virginia.
He never married and died relatively young. 
Maupin, Dabney (I1723)
 
76 Dabney Minor was born to John and Sarah (Carr) Minor June 11, 1749, in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
He married Anne Anderson, a daughter of David and Elizabeth (Mills) Anderson of Albemarle County, October 12, 1773. They had five children: Sarah Elizabeth, born September 6, 1775, died January 3, 1833, married her cousin William Anderson of Hanover County December 26, 1793, he died September 22, 1822; Mary, born September 29, 1777, died young; Dabney, born July 22, 1779, died March 8, 1822, married January (or September) 30, 1800, Lucy Herndon, born August 23, 1779, died August 12 1832, daughter of Mary Minor and Joseph Herndon; Ann, born April 20, 1781, died August 19, 1801, married September 15, 1800, as second wife to Dr. Charles Meriwether, born August 12, 1766, died October 7, 1843 ; Sarah, born August 24, 1783, died September 27, 1864, married June 28, 1808, Dr. John Gilmer of Edgmont, Albemarle County, born April 20, 1782, died Feb 12, 1834.
Dabney and Ann lived on a farm named Woodlawn in Orange County. In the Orange County personal property tax lists, he was charged from 1784 to 1796 with 6-15 slaves and 3-7 horses. The size of his land is unknown because the Albemarle land tax records have not survived. He was appointed to a commission of 5 to lay off 2 acres for public buildings in Orange, the county seat. He was also a trained carpenter given a variety of assignments in the construction of the court house and the provision of its fittings, such as tables and bookcases. He died November 7, 1799. Anne took his place in the personal property tax lists from 1799 to 1809 and died March 27, 1831. His son, Dabney was listed first in 1802 and continued until his death in 1822. 
Minor, Dabney (I1881)
 
77 Dabney Pettus was born to Stephen and Mary (Dabney) Pettus about 1723 in Hanover County, Virginia.
His grandfather, George Dabney I, bequeathed a slave to him in his will dated October 24, 1729, when Dabney was about six years old. He married Elizabeth Rhodes, a daughter of John Rhodes of Hanover County about 1745. They had eight children: Stephen, born about 1750; John Rhodes, born about 1752; Charles Dabney, born about 1755; Judith (“Judy”), described as “unfortunate and afflicted”; Anne; Mary; Rebecca, born about 1760; Elizabeth born July 18, 1758.
He moved from Hanover County to Louisa County, where he processioned land in 1743. He was probably developing land patentd by his father in 1727. In May, 1745, his father gave him 250 acres in Louisa County. Dabney and Elizabeth sold the land for £110 in 1749, but acquired other land for which he was a processioner in Fredericksburg Parish in 1748, 1752, 1756. 1759, and 1763.
He was paid by the vestry of the Middle Church of Fredericksburg Parish to care for several dependent paupers 1756-1758. He was paid 1040 lb of tobacco annually to serve as clerk of the church 1752-1758 and reader 1759-1761.
Before 1763, he moved to Henrico County, where he bought land and was a processioner in 1771. In 1780, he moved to Charlotte County, where his brother John was living, and bought 500 acres from his brother. He was appointed a vestryman of Cornwall Parish in 1783. In 1785, he signed a petition to the legislature opposing a bill that would have taxed citizens for the support of ministers of the Episcopal Church. In 1787, he purchased 480 acres in neighboring Halifax County for £400.
Dabney died in 1788. He left a will that had a provision for special care for his disabled daughter Judith, who was entrusted to her brother John. His widow, Elizabeth, died in late 1798 or early 1799 when her will was proved in Charlotte County Court. 
Pettus, Dabney (I668)
 
78 Daniel Maupin III was born to Daniel and Mary Elizabeth (Dabney) Maupin December 6, 1760, in Albemarle County, Virginia.
He had two wives and 23 children. With his first wife, Elizabeth (Betsy) Gentry, he had twelve children: Garten B., born 1782/83; Garland, married Mary Martin; Elizabeth, married David Crews; Patsy, married William Dinwiddie 30 Jan 1800; Susannah, married David Gentry 8 Jul 1804; Delilah, married William Dulaney 16 May 1804; Margaret, born January 10, 1795; Sally, born March 17, 1797; James; John; Martin; and Tabitha. He married his second wife, Margaret McWilliams June 16, 1805. They had 11 children: George Washington; Cynthia, born January 30, 1806; Leland, born July 18, 1809; Daniel C.; Parthenia, born August 15, 1812; Eliza Ann, born June 20, 1814; William M.; Thomas Jefferson, born May 10, 1819; Thomas Howard; Nancy, born 1822; and Mary E., born May 18, 1828.
In 1780, Daniel enlisted in the Virginia army forces. He was a sergeant in Capt. John Harris’s company in Col. Holt Richardson’s Virginia regiment, then in Capt. John Hunt’s company in Col. James Innis’s Virginia Regiment, and from April/May, 1781, an orderly sergeant in Capt. John Miller’s company in Col. Reuben Lindsay’s Virginia Regiment. He was in the Battle of Jamestown and the siege of Yorktown. His total service was 12 months. As a result of his wartime experience, he was sometimes known as “tough” Daniel.
He was first listed in the Albemarle personal property tax list in 1782 (the earliest surviving list) with no slaves and 2 horses and in 1795, the last year before his move to Madison County, Tennessee, with 3 slaves and 3 horses. He first appeared in the Madison County tax list in 1796 with 124 acres, 4 slaves and 4 horses. He settled first on Muddy Creek, and later acquired lands on Otter Creek, Silver Creek, and in Montgomery County. His taxable lands in Madison County increased over the following years to 525 acres in 1817. By 1831, the year before his death, when he was 70, his land had diminished to 153 acres on Muddy Creek. He died August 29, 1832. In his will, he left his estate for the benefit of his wife with the possibility that if any of the children of his second wife should leave home, part of their inheritance could be advanced to them with the consent of the executors. He appointed as executors his sons Washington and Leland and his friend, Archibald Woods Jr.
Margaret was awarded a pension of $60/year for his Revolutionary War service in September, 1853, and a bounty land allotment of 160 acres in 1855. 
Maupin, Daniel III (I1676)
 
79 Daniel Maupin, sometimes differentiated from other Daniels as “Saddler Daniel,” was born to John and Frances (Dabney) Maupin September 16, 1756, on Moorman’s River, in northwestern Albemarle County, Virginia.
He married first to Martha Jarman, January 14, 1782 in Albemarle County. She was a daughter of Thomas Jarman, who received a patent for 88 acres on Moorman’s River in 1762. They had two children: Miriam, married Bernard M. Brown, son of Bernard Brown Sr. and Elizabeth (Dabney) Brown; Kate,married William Harris. Daniel married second to Betsy Gentry April 21, 1791. They had eight children: Joel, married Martha Gentry, a daughter of Christopher Gentry, and moved west; James D., married Dorinda Hauger or Kennerly, had three children; Nimrod, born January 3,1811, married Miss Harris, had two children; Lilburn, married Eliza Kent, had 1 child; Martin, never married; Frances, married Dabney M. Jarman, had five children; Mary, married John Hayden, had seven children; Betsy, married Thomas W. Harris, had six children. Daniel married third to Hannah (Jameson) Harris, the widow of William Harris, a son of Major Robert Harris of Albemarle County and brother of Christopher Harris, December 24, 1812. Their children were Merret, who weighed 360 pounds at his death; John, who was unmarried; and Sarah, who married a Dr. Peary and moved to MIssouri.
Daniel volunteered for 12 months of millitia service early in September, 1776, under Bernice Brown to guard several Tories and 40 or 50 military prisoners. He was discharged after 5 or 6 months. In February, 1777, he enlisted for three years in the Continental Forces, but when his parents objected, he found a substitute to take his place. During 1777 and 1778, he was twice drafted into the militia for two 2-month tours,but he hired John & William Maupin to take his place. Next, in the latter part of May 1781, he was called up and served for 2 months. He entered militia service again for three months during which he was employed in making light horse saddles, halters, wagon gear. He applied for a veterans pension (file S 5733) in October, 1832 and was awarded a pension of $23.33 annually commencing March 4, 1831 and last paid in 1837.
He was listed in the Albemarle personal property tax rolls from 1782 (earliest available) through 1837, and in 1838 the entry changed to Daniel Maupin’s estate. His prosperity increased over the years, during which he was charged with 1-9 slaves and 1-12 horses. In the 1810 census for Albemarle County, he had eight children, in 1820, ten children, and in 1830, four children.
In 1834, he and Hannah gave the ground for the Mount Moriah Meeting
House, near Whitehall in Albemarle, which for many years went by the name of Maupin's Meeting House. Daniel died in 1838. Hannah survived him and was listed in the 1840 census with three adults 20-29 and one 15-19. 
Maupin, Daniel (I1717)
 
80 Diana was born to William Dabney Jr and his wife, Hannah Temple (Dabney) Dabney about 1799/1800. Her parents were first cousins through their fathers, Isaac and Richard Dabney Sr., who were brothers.
She married Cornelius Dabney about 1814/15. He was a son of William Dabney Sr., a third brother of Isaac and Richard Dabney Sr., so she was Cornelius’ first cousin once removed through both of her parents. 
Dabney, Diana (I76)
 
81 Died aged 15. Dabney, Mary (I341)
 
82 Died aged 8 months. Dabney, Nelson (I349)
 
83 Died at age 3. Dabney, Maria Catherine (I170)
 
84 Died early aged 2. Carr, John (I579)
 
85 Died early aged 3 weeks. Carr, James (I573)
 
86 Died early aged 5. Carr, James (I574)
 
87 Died early aged 8. Carr, John (I572)
 
88 Died in infancy. Booth, Thomas (I148)
 
89 Died in infancy. Booth, Lucy Cooke (I149)
 
90 Died in infancy. Dabney, John Fushee (I521)
 
91 Died in infancy. Minor, Diana (I1880)
 
92 Died young. Dabney, William (I216)
 
93 Died young. Dabney, Louisa Perrin (I351)
 
94 Died young. Dabney, Unnamed (I671)
 
95 Dorothy Dabney was the eldest child of Cornelius Dabney I and his second wife, Susannah. According to one estimate, she was probably born about 1680 in the part of New Kent County that is now Hanover County.
She was married to Capt. William Anderson of King William County between June, 1699, and April, 1701. In 1701, they received a land patent for 179.5 acres in King Wiliam County, recently formed from Pamunkey Neck, previously part of King and Queen County. The patent adjoined three patents awarded at the same time to her half-brothers James and George and her half-sister Sarah. The patents were awarded because their deceased father, Cornelius Dabney, had a lease or leases in Pamunkey Neck (later King William County) for 600 or 700 acres from the Pamunkey tribe before his death in 1694.
Dorothy and William had at least eight children. Their eldest son was William, who was living in 1720 when his mother deeded two slaves to him and in 1722 when his grandmother Susanna Dabney Anderson included him in her will, but died before reaching full majority. His brother, Dabney Anderson reached adulthood and died about 1734/35. There were six daughters: Elizabeth, Susannah, Sarah, Mary, Judith, and Ann, concerning whom nothing has been found by this writer.
William Anderson’s activities in King William County are attested by service as a witness for deeds in 1704 and 1707. On June 20, 1707, he bought a half-acre lot in the recently surveyed village of Delaware Town (now West Point at the southern end of King William County). He was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1710 and sheriff in 1711 and 1712. He died in 1716/17. A copy of the inventory and appraisement of his estate dated 25 Jun 1790 was filed in Louisa County Chancery Suit 1804-006 available in the Library of Virginia’s Chancery Record Index.
Dorothy remarried to James Trice, probably of neighboring Caroline County, between 1720 and 1722. His father may have been the James Trice who received a land grant of 226 acres in 1673 in New Kent County and was charged with 350 acres in the 1704 Quit Rent Roll in King and Queen County, but in both cases probably in the area that later became Caroline County. James Trice Jr. was a road supervisor in 1733, executor for the estate of his step-son Dabney Anderson in 1735, guardian for Tabitha Booth in 1751, and a juror on five different panels.
Dorothy died about 1732. James Trice probably died about 1768, since the appraisal of his estate was dated February 22, 1769. 
Dabney, Dorothy (I108)
 
96 Dorothy Waller was born to Col. John and Agnes (Carr) Waller in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
She married Thomas Allen Goodloe who was born to Parson Henry Goodloe and Frances Diana (Kemp) Goodloe January 23, 1754, in Spotsylvania County. Dorothy and Thomas had five children mentioned in Thomas’s 1812 will: Henry, born March 10, 1779, married Elizabeth Berry, died July 29, 1856, living in Hopkins County, Kentucky in 1850; John Waller, born 1789, died after 1860, married Wealthy Pritchett December 16, 1812, living in Hopkins County in 1840, 1860; Frances, married Henry Scott, living in Hopkins County in 1820, died before 1823; Nancy, born about 1791, married James Mitchell November 29, 1807 in Fayette County, Kentucky, living in Hopkins County in 1850 and died there in 1859; Agnes Carr, born May 3, 1777, married John Estes Yates in 1798, died December 2, 1845, in Hopkins County.
Thomas paid personal property taxes in Spotsylvania County on about 5-10 slaves and 4-9 horses from 1782 (earliest surviving record) through 1787. He paid land taxes on 100 acres In 1786 and 241 acres in 1787. He then moved to recently created Fayette County, Kentucky, where he first appeared in the the tax lists in 1789. He continued to farm on 129 acres until 1813, when his tax record changed to Dorothy Goodloe, indicating his death. He left a will mentioning his five children and his wife. 
Waller, Dorothy (I2048)
 
97 Dr. James Dabney was born to Major George Dabney III and his wife, Ann “Nancy” (Nelson) Baker Dabney March 27, 1778, in King William County, Virginia.
He was trained in medicine in Edinburgh, Scotland, largely at his brother Benjamin’s expense, and later practiced at Gloucester Courthouse, Virginia. He married Eliza Perrin and had one known son, James Kennon Dabney. During the War of 1812, he served as a surgeon for nine months and 21 days with the 21st Regiment of the Virginia Militia.
He first appeared in the Gloucester County personal property tax list in 1806. He bought a 322 acre farm named The Exchange on the North River, adjoining his brother Benjamin Dabney’s Elmington, from the estate of his uncle, Matthew Anderson, in 1808/09, but allowed Anderson’s widow, Mary (Dabney) Anderson to live there until her death in June 1820. As the years passed, he gradually acquired 14 tracts of land totalling 1,342 acres. He served for one term in the House of Delegates from 1815 to 1816.
He was listed in the 1810, 1820, 1830, and 1840 censuses in Gloucester County, Virginia, with 38-66 slaves. When he died in 1843, aged 64, he was living at The Exchange. His son, James, continued to live at the Exchange until his death in 1892.p. 
Dabney, Dr. James (I339)
 
98 Edmund Winston was born to William “Langaloo” Winston and Sarah Dabney circa 1745/50 in Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia.
He married Alice Winston, a daughter of his uncle, Judge Anthony Winston, of Buckingham County. She was born March 20, 1753 They had six children: George Dabney, Sarah, Alice, Mary, Edmund Jr., born 1778, and Elizabeth, born 1783.
Edmund was a lawyer and ardent patriot during the Revolution. He was elected to represent Bedford, Campbell, Henry, and Pittsylvania Counties in the Virginia Senate from for eight terms from 1776 to 1783. He was a representative to the Virginia Constitutional Convention in 1788, which ratified the U. S. Constitution. He served as prosecuting attorney in Campbell County for a time in 1787-88. He was elected by the assembly to the General Court, which heard appeals from the county courts, in 1788 and served until 1813.
Alice died in 1784, leaving him with six children aged 1-10. He was a first cousin and long-time friend of Patrick Henry, who appointed him an executor of his will. After Patrick’s death in 1799, he was active in the settlement of the estate, which involved considerable consultation with Henry’s widow, Dorothea Spotswood (Dandridge) Henry. In June, 1802, he married Dorothea in Charlotte County. She was born in 1755. He had no additional children with Dorothea, but undertook the support and parenting of her nine children from Patrick.
Edmund died August 18, 1818, at Lynchburg, Campbell County. Dorothea died February 14, 1831, in Halifax County. 
Winston, Judge Edmund (I720)
 
99 Edward N. Dabney was born to Maj. Thomas and Lucy (Walker) Dabney about 1812.
He married Sarah R. Cocke February 24, 1837. They had two sons: Robert, probably born about 1837/38, and James W., probably born 1839/40. In the 1840 census, they were living in Richmond with two sons under 5. Edward formed a partnership with Robert Hill in March, 1837 that lasted until at least May, 1841 to buy and sell produce, sell or hire out slaves, and collect debts.
Sarah died before May 10, 1849, when Edward married a second time to Susan A. Scott. In the 1850 census, Edward’s sons, Robert and James, were enrolled in a boarding school in King William County headed by John H. Pitts. Edward’s occupation was given as auctioneer and he and Susan were living with one daughter, Caroline, aged seven months. In the 1860 census, Edward’s occupation was listed as auctioneer and in his household were one of his sons from his first wife, James W., 20, and three children from Susan: Caroline S., 10; Mary E., 9; and Fanny A., 6.
In 1849 and 1859, he advertised in the Richmond Whig his services in renting out slaves and in 1849 also in renting houses and collecting debts.
Edward died July 21, 1864, aged 52. In the 1870 census, James W. Dabney was living in Richmond and in his household were his stepsisters, Caroiine S,, 20; Mary E., 18; Fanny O., 16; and Lulu, 6, who was born in the year Edward died. 
Dabney, Edward N. (I547)
 
100 Elder Christopher Harris was born to Christopher and Mary (Dabney) Harris in Albemarle County, Virginia.
He married Elizabeth Grubbs in 1776/77 in Albemarle County. She was a daughter of William and Susan (Hearne) Grubbs of Albemarle County, who came to Kentucky about 1775. William died soon after their arrival and Susan and the chidren moved to Madison County. Christopher and Elizabeth had twelve children: Tyre, born February 24, 1778, moved to Simpson County, Kentucky; Thomas, born January 18, 1780, married Mary Ann Booten; Nancy, born February 2, 1782, married Josiah Thorpe; Mourning, born October 31, 1783, married Zachariah Thorpe; Robert, born March 6, 1787, married Mary Taylor; Tabitha, born September 16, 1791, married Joel Burnam; Fannie, born September 10, 1793, married first Mr. Black, second Thomas Ernest, and third Samuel Hayden; Christopher, born November 29, 1795, married Miss Vivion; Susannah, born February 13, 1798, married Thomas Bluett; Elizabeth, born January 24, 1800, married Richard Hudson; James Harris, born February 18, 1802, married Miss Watts; Hensley, born November 26, 1804, married Malinda Vineyard.
Elder Christopher Harris was a pioneer Baptist preacher. He was an ordained minister of the Primitive Baptist Church and authorized by the Madison County Court to perform marriages. During his first years in Madison County, he joined the Dreaming Creek Church near Richmond. In 1797, he became the pastor of the Primitive Baptist Church at Viney Fork, where he served until 1816. From 1796-1806 he was also the moderator of the Tates Creek Assoociation of Primitive Baptist Churches. In 1816, he moved to Warren County. In 1817 he became the Moderator of the Gasper River Association and served until 1820, when he moved to the Drakes Creek Association and became the moderator there for 5 years. He died in 1826. 
Harris, Elder Christopher (I886)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next»